Monday, December 14, 2009

Let Them Eat Cake...and Ice Cream Sundaes, and Chocolate, and All Sorts of Baked Goodies!


Eating dessert in New York City is quite possibly my favorite thing to do in the city. Here are a bunch of places you might want to try when your sweet tooth - or sweet teeth in my case - start to ache (note that these are in no particular order):

1. Magnolia Bakery located in the West Village as well as the Upper West Side (and maybe even the Upper East side as well). I love their banana pudding and vanilla cupcakes with vanilla frosting.

2. Adam's favorite cupcakes are from Crumbs. These huge fancy shmancey cupcakes are too ornate for my taste buds being filled with creams and jellies and topped with cookie crumbs and whatnot. I call them the Ben And Jerry's of cupcakes. I will say that they have the best Red Velvet cupcake around.

3. Black Hound is my favorite dessert place in my neck of the woods. My favorite cake is the Busy Bee cake: very very very chocolatey with a hint of marzipan and topped with almonds. Even me, a chocoholic, can't eat a whole one in one sitting.

- La Maison du Chocolat is how do you say? Awe yes, tres magnifique! Dark chocolate lovers will melt over this chocolate. Milk chocolate lovers, might actually like their dark chocolate - as I do.

4. My old favorite dessert place is Max Brenner. Their molten chocolate lava cake at one time was great; however, since this place has become so popular, I find their desserts aren't quite as good as they used to be. Still worth checking out if you love Chocolate (they have food as well) and are in the Union Square area of New York.

5. Serendipity (very large and overpriced desserts - which I personally think are overrated). Adam loves the Frozen Hot Chocolate which they are famous for and I like the peanut butter, banana, chocolate syrup, maybe a brownie in there somewhere with vanilla ice cream sundae thing they have. Afterward, or while your waiting to get a table as a 45 minute wait is very common, you can take the Roosevelt Tram over to Roosevelt Island. It's a subway fare across and gives a nice view of the east side of New York. If you're scared of heights, do not do this!

6. Jacques Torres has amazing European style thick hot chocolate. It's like drinking warmed up syrup. They also have chocolate covered cheerios for the kids...or adults - I'm not ashamed to eat them.

7. For Austrian desserts check out Demel in the Plaza Hotel. Adam loves the Rasberry Yogurt cake.

8. Lastly, Trader Joes' peanut butter filled chocolate covered pretzels. I can't even begin to describe the explosion of flavors in your mouth from eating one of these. Lucky for you, you might live near a Trader Joes at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment